Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Summer Uniform

Shirt- Gap, Shorts- Old Navy, Sandals- Lulu's (same here, on sale $16), Bag- Lori's Shoes, Sunglasses- Forever 21

I took a little blogging break last week since I had a couple of days off work. I wanted to maximize my relaxation time without having to worry about getting my two typical posts up. I was able to shoot some outfits I have a few new posts coming your way soon!

I can't remember the last time I actually wanted to wear shorts. After years of feeling uncomfortable in shorts that were "my size," I finally realized the secret to good shorts- SIZE UP. Seriously, it is so much more comfortable to wear shorts that are a little roomier than what your standard pant size would be. I got these Old Navy distressed shorts two sizes up to accommodate for the short inseam (its only 2"), and so they would be looser on my thighs. I love them! I've been wearing them every weekend with anything from t-shirts to button ups. Basically any top I can do a half-tuck with is perfect to create that unfussy "I got dressed in 30 seconds" look.

Being as heel-obsessed as I am, I really love these sandals with their baby one and half inch heel. They are still super comfortable but give me just a little more height. I can wear them with distressed shorts, or make a sundress a little more dressy than if I paired it with flat sandals.

Dainty jewelry has been another favorite of mine recently. I'm still breaking out the statment pieces for work and dressier occasions, but with a casual look like this one, smaller jewelry is the way to go.

What's your summer uniform?


19 comments:

  1. Sizing up is a good idea! My thighs are muscular & shorts really give me a hard time.I can't wait to try some on this weekend!
    xo,
    Tiffany
    shoeschampagne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great casual look. My summer uniform is dress and denim vest or shorts and a tank top.

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great summer uniform - casual but cute.

    Sizing up is a really good idea, one I realised myself not too long ago. No one wants to feel self conscious or uncomfortable in clothes!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute shorts. Love this outfit.


    pinkandnavystripes.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took a double take when I read that your shoes were from forever 21. I mean, what?? They're so cute! And I love the cut offs with the button up. Keeping it classy. ;) Shorts are so tricky. I've also decided that sizing up how ever many numbers I need to go is the way for me too. great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to wear a slinky pencil skirt which hugs my body and a vest. I would love to wear shorts but living in UK we don't get much of a chance to wear them! You look great as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you were able to unplug for a bit!
    I totally agree with sizing up - I always do this, especially because I like mine to sit lower on my hips since I'm naturally high waisted. And definitely way comfier that way like you said!
    This is a perfect summer uniform for sure, and I'm digging those sandals!
    Carylee | morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the dress and denim vest combo too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree! Feeling uncomfortable in what I'm wearing is never fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Meghan! Shorts are super tricky. Even after taking my own advice most of the time, I ended up getting a pair of black cutoffs similar to these in a smaller size. I thought I would feel okay in them, but every time I put them on, I change before heading out the door! Those definitely need to go back to the store, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Lorna! I love pencil skirts too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Carylee! I'm looking forward to catching up on your blog later today! I'm finally going to sit down and do some blog reading since I've been missing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are the best! It meant a lot that you came by and got caught up! I know what it feels like to be behind on reading blogs! I think that's half the reason why I amped up how many people I follow on IG so I can get snapshots of what they're up to when I'm too busy to read! Although indulging in blog posts with no worry about time is such a treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel the same about instagram! I follow soooo many people but its just so much fun to see what people are wearing and buying :) I do love to catch up on blogs when I've been behind, especially the ones I actually READ (like yours!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments!